Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Happy Birthday to............

 .
Happy Birthday, Gladys Taber

.
Gladys was a delightful author of many books.  Her most famous, were about life in an old reclaimed farm house, in Conn.  She wrote her books, by the Seasons, or the Months of the year.  So one can pick up any of them, flip to the present season/month, and enjoy.  An example...
.
"April in New England is like first love. There is the tender excitement of gathering the first snowdrops, the only symbol of life in the deserted garden.  They are the lyric expression of music to come--as the symphony of lilacs will surely come--because I am picking the cool delicate bells of this first flower."
"The Best of Stillmeadow"
.
I invite you to become acquainted with Gladys Taber, if you aren't already.  Here are some clickable links, to start you off.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I never met the lady herself, but have been in Stillmeadow.  Years, and years, and years ago, my husband flew my daughter and myself over to the nearest airport.  (We owned a little plane, at the time...) There we rented a car and found our way...  From "instructions" I had gleaned from reading her books for years.  :-)

We pulled up in front of that (so-well-know-from-her-books) picket fence, and dear house...  I was in a trance, to really, really be seeing it, at last!   Gladys was not there, but her daughter (Connie) and grand daughters were there.  

Connie saw the look on my face, and invited us in.  :-)))  How very sweet of her!  And so I have this wonderful memory.
.
Over the years, I have collected all Gladys' Stillmeadow and Stillcove books.  :-)  My only collection. 
.
.

.
.
.

14 comments:

LoveT. said...

Happy Birthday to Gladys Taber! :)

lovely Greetings from Vienna!

Lowcarb team member said...

Well Happy Birthday to Gladys Taber, and how lovely to write your books by the Seasons or the months of the year.
I don't think I have come across her, I must keep my eye open ...

I hope you are having a good Tuesday, we have a little sunshine here peeking through a few clouds, so lovely to see.

All the best Jan

Peggy said...

I think I first became acquainted with Gladys through Dewena's blog. Then I read Stillmeadow and it just sung to my heart. I wish that I had the ability to make pictures with words the way that she does. Her appreciation of every small detail of nature makes life seem miraculous.

Estelle's said...

No! Did you really??? Oh how very, very special to have been in the home of Gladys Taber! What a special and sweet soul she was! This is just totally wonderful!!!!

Red Rose Alley said...

Tessa, how delightful that Gladys' daughter invited you in her home. Her house and white picket fence sound charming. I've never read any of her books, but now I must read one. I'm curious, what do you mean by Stillcove? She sounds like a wonderful author, and it was interesting to read a little about her.

~Sheri

a writing place said...

Dear Sheri, you asked about Still Cove...

Stillmeadow was the name of Gladys' Conn. farm house. Still Cove was the name of her small home, near Orleans, on Cape Cod.

She wrote about life there also. One such book was Still Cove Journal.

We never got even close to Still Cove. :-) It is privately owned. This site shows as close as we could get, to it. :-)

Thank you for your question.

Tessa

bj said...

and what a nice thing to collect...books are priceless and I know you have some awesome ones.
xoxo

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

That is such a sweet memory. I have not heard of this author, but I will now look her up. It's funny, there is a tiny little community (barely a dot on the map) called Conn in Ontario. -Jenn

Susie said...

I love this memory you have. I think it's wonderful you met the daughter and grand daughter of someone you admired. To see where Gladys lived . I do not know her or her works..but from your post I have learned. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

tammy j said...

OHMYGOSH!
THIS my darling bean beats the daily beast to pieces!
i've read gladys for years. and own some of her books.
and to think you got to meet connie!!!
and step inside still meadow.
i am pea green with envy.
and i love the pink poppy banner. so cheerful.
and now i'm going back to the post and follow each link.
thank you!
XOXO♥

Emma Connolly said...

Ah far Tessa this is a lovely story. Thank you for sharing her with us, her books sound a joy, right up my street!
How lovely to get to meet her daughter too!
Xx

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Oh Tessa, I am a huge Gladys Taber fan! You are so lucky to have been invited into her home by her daughter Connie! I have many of her books and they keep me company when I'm unable to sleep in the middle of the night. She was quite remarkable! Thank you for telling us about your experience. ♥

handmade by amalia said...

A lovely tribute to an extraordinary woman.
Amalia
xo

Daniela said...

I love this tribute of yours, my darling Tessa, she's truly a charming writer I do admire such a lot !

Hope you're having a wonderful day, I'm sending blessings on your weekend ahead, with so much gratitude

Dany