Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Our social media ego...

Something that has been nagging at my mind, of late, is what is called our social media ego.
.
A search, brought up this article... "Social Media, the ego, and the self".   Naturally I would love for you to click on that link and read it yourself.  Also naturally, I have no idea how much time or inclination you have, to do so.  So I'll grab some thoughts from it.
.
If you are blogging, you are in social media.  Most of us are in more than one kind of social media.  For me it's just blogging and IG. 
.
"The phrase “social networking” itself contains the basic elements of relating and technology; the technology is the “network” and the social is the human bit. We use technology to do human things: to relate."
.
"The word "self" is the wider concept, and is inclusive of everything that comes together to create a self..."
.
The "ego" is more discrete.  It is the part of us that identifies as “I” or “me” – it is  .......... our conscious “identity” how we understand ourselves; it is also the part of us that defends us from slights and hurts."
.
"The self seeks recognition from others ......... – the ego, however, likes its recognition to be conditional upon its own expectations and desires."
.
Our ego needs recognition, and social media can meet this need, via...
.
Number of Friends
Number of Followers
Number of Comments
Number of 'Likes'
.
When our ego gets recognition, it is called getting strokes. "...every time your ego receives recognition, it purrs just a little, as if it’s been stroked."...
.
"...and when it doesn’t get the strokes it thinks it needs, it can feel pretty bad."

Have you ever considered how much you have invested, in the recognition you get, from social media?
.
Your thoughts on this topic, please....?
.
.
.
.

10 comments:

tammy j said...

interesting.
I've just been offline for almost a week due to computer problems.
the marine fixed it today.
I found myself mainly wanting to "look that up!" and then in the next thought... "oh. but I can't. no computer."
THAT is what I would miss.
but then the thought of visiting with my friends.
I would REALLY miss that!
as to the counts of likes and comment amounts and all that...
I can honestly say... meh.
but then I've always liked things small and simple. :)
XO♥ thanks for the link.
going now to read it.

Benita said...

Social media frustrates me to no end and I feel like it is all a numbers competition. There are all these articles out there about how to increase numbers for blog posts, instagram, pinterest, twitter, etc. It is all just too much for me to keep up with. So I stick to my blog and sometimes will post to IG, but I refuse to play the numbers game. Love and hugs to you sweet friend!!

A Joyful Cottage said...

Boy, if I relied on social media to feed my ego I would have thrown in the towel a long time ago. My blog is one of my creative outlets, a place where I can share what I enjoy with other kindred spirits. I've made wonderful friendships with people all over the world through my blog, some who aren't bloggers themselves. But all this has happened offline through emails. I don't think you can develop these kinds of relationships through comments only. There's just not enough interaction there. I have a Facebook page connected to my blog and that's another way to get good interaction. But, again, it's not about number of friends, comments, followers, etc. for me.

Red Rose Alley said...

I think it's just human nature to want our blogs to be appealing, but Yes, some can go overboard with the social media thing and when that happens, it becomes not fun or pleasant any more. I just have my little blog, and that's about all I can handle right now. Anything else would turn into work for me. :)

Interesting topic, Tessa.

~Sheri

Lisa said...

It can all get to be a bit much can't it? I have just decided to do me. Post what I like and when and not to be too terribly concerned about how many read it. It works for me.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

This is a very interesting topic, Tessa. It's one I have thought about and most recently discussed with my husband. I agree with Lisa above--What I post is really a diary of my life that I want to share. If it's interesting to my blog friends I imagine they will comment.
Your header is beautiful! ♥

Antoinette said...

As a chronic introvert I've given an awful lot of thought over the years to this very subject.

I love people, and connection, and through social media I have gained so much in terms of the true and lasting friendships and connections I have made.

But...I can't abide facebook, (I understand it's a useful tool for many), my instagram is private, and I don't link my blog to my other social media platforms, (IG & Pinterest, and Twitter, which I hardly ever use anyway). Simply because I have a deep discomfort with drawing attention to myself, even though I want to be "seen" by those I care about. If that makes any sense whatsoever, lol. I have never gotten excited by gaining followers, but do feel very happy when I encounter kindred spirits.

For me it's about balance, and sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed when things on social media get "noisy", and I withdraw for a while. But never for long. It's an incredible way of reaching beyond the usual boundaries of daily existence, and finding bright lights in the darkness : ) xx

Daniela said...

This is so interesting, my sweetest Tessa, I truly enjoyed this reading !

Sending blessings on your day, today,
with love and big hugs
Dany

Peggy said...

I think a lot of the social interaction has to do with the person posting. Some people need the recognition and count the comments as a source of pride and validation. I've never needed that although I love it when someone takes the time to comment on a post. I do it for me. If someone likes it I'm glad but I wouldn't change it for anyone.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I blog and use IG for making connections, sharing, being inspired and hopefully inspiring someone else. I don't play the numbers game. I want both to be positive experiences. I've made some wonderful friends all over the world and that's been worth it.