Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Winter... Time for hibernation... But how...???

It's really, really cold now.  Deep winter has set in.  It took a long time coming, this season.  But when it came, it came with a bang.  And cold is not my favorite sensation.  Then again, neither is hot/humid.  But that issue, is not for now.  Now is cold.  

And cold tends to keep me inside.  By choice.  In my view, who wants to toddle about, with ice and snow for companions?  Brrrrr...  Shiverrrrrr...  Scary......
.
Not that I have much against staying in.  I'm not a 'Nature Girl' and never was.  So that's not the issue.  Guess the issue is, that when I can choose to stay in, it's fine.  But then the choice is forced upon me, it's not.  I want to be in charge of the choice.  ,-) 
.
Following nature, winter would seem to be the time for hibernation.  For making use of the enforced in-time, in some quietly constructive way.  For seeking out inside activities.  For using the time to ponder.  Rather than to be go-go-go all the time.  As in the other seasons.  And also, spending time, just being.  Free from *guilt*.

Also I know, that only retired people and people who work at home, have this luxury.  If you are employed, you go out to work, regardless of the weather, or of how you feel about going out.  Happily I'm retired, so I get choices.

Heather has a 'Hibernate' online retreat, which I joined last year.  But other than this, there isn't much help on how to hibernate, in winter.  If you have found meaningful books on this topic, please let me know their titles!

This is a long post, so I don't know how many are still reading here.  But if you are (Thank you!!!), please share your views, on this topic, of hibernating in winter.  Do you want to do it?  How do you do it?  Guides you have found, for doing it?
.
"Winter is the time for comfort, 
for good food and warmth, 
for the touch of a friendly hand 
and for a talk 
beside the fire."
- Edith Sitwell
 .
.
1. link
2. link

.
.
.
.

5 comments:

Estelle's said...

I had this experience in Maine. Mainers LOVE to hibernate...love it! Especially the island people. They found it cozy! They read, they made soup, they sat by the fire, they watched the weather! It was their way of life. BUT, they did not let it stop them going out if they chose to...I mean it lasted for six months out of the year. SO....perhaps it is a choice for some. Just be careful if you do chose to brave the cold, the ice and the snow! Gorgeous pictures!!!

tammy j said...

i've always liked the word hibernation. and i'm not even sure why.
i think i hibernate in the high summer here more than the winter months.
of course we don't have the deep snow to traverse that you do.
but i love being retired and finally allowed to be a little lazy i suppose with NO guilt!
i do these things during my hibernations...
i put something heavenly in the crock pot to make the wren house smell delicious all day.
i read at least 3 different books at a time.
i rearrange my kitchen. just to keep me on my toes at finding things.
i take a spa shower every day. lotion all over. then i wrap in my fuchsia colored robe and have a cup of something decadent.
i color in one of my new coloring books.
i read ANYTHING by alexandra stoddard AND gladys taber.
i watch barefoot contessa. though i hate to cook.
i take wonderful naps.
i visit favorite blogs.
sometimes i rearrange my closet.
and then it's time to eat dinner. the day(s) has(have)flown by!

Daniela said...

Actually I'd love to, but having a work (I'm a teacher, my husban a bus driver), it's not possible for us to hibernate, even if we life in the country ... we do something like that during the coldest weekends, we light the fire in our hearth, have a cup of hot tea sitting beside it while reading ... and at evening, when it's possible !
Thank you fo ranother lovely post, my friend
sending love to you
Daniela

Benita said...

Unfortunately, we do not get the snow that y'all do. ..although I do wish I could have one winter full of snow. :-) It does get cold and the days that it is bitter, I do like to hibernate inside. ..curled up with a good book, a nice fire and some hot chocolate. When I get restless from being inside too long, I am much like Miss T....I read, watch cooking shows, then start organizing and rearranging. ..the hubster hates it...lol. I don't know if there is really a good way to hibernate, I suppose we just take it one day at a time, but I like to make my own choices about being inside also ..love the pics...so beautiful! Love and hugs!!

A Joyful Cottage said...

My husband and I find comfort in this time of year. Right now we have quite a bit of snow on the ground and almost every morning we get about an hour or so of soft, gentle snow. It's beautiful. And yes, it's cold outside, but it's warm and cozy in our cottage. We use these winter months to create. . .he's a watercolorist and I'm a writer and crafter. I just recently found twining, a form of weaving, and this has added a whole new dimension to "hibernating". Blessings, Nancy